Over 100 people attended a dowry ceremony which ended sour. Four people died of suspected food poisoning. They attended the ruracio ceremony last Thursday. The ceremony was in Kieni, Nyeri county. Groom’s mother among the dead, the groom Patrick Githui was admitted to Kenyatta National Hospital.
The food was outsourced from Kitengela in Kajiado County for the event. The Director of Medical Services Nelson Muriu stated that those who attended the ceremony and were taken to hospitals demonstrated cholera-like symptoms. They were otherwise treated for food poisoning.
“The patient at KNH has tested negative for cholera and is being treated for food poisoning,” said Dr Muriu.