Coronavirus continues to be a big threat to the whole world in general as it continues to spread to more countries. Nigeria recorded the first case of Coronavirus in Africa on the 28th of February, while Algeria confirmed 2 cases of the deadly virus this morning.
World Health Organization(WHO) tells of basic protective measures that can help protect against the virus. Here are some of the measures one should take;
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and water as this helps kill germs and viruses that might be on your hands.
- Maintain at least 1-meter distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing. When someone coughs and sneezes, they spray small liquid droplets from their nose and mouth which may contain the virus. If you are too close you may breathe in the droplets and get infected.
- Avoid touching the eyes, nose, and mouth. Hands touch so many surfaces in our daily activities and may pick up viruses from the surfaces. Once contaminated the hands can transfer the viruses to your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Practice good respiratory hygiene. Make sure you cover your mouth and nose while coughing or sneezing using a tissue or handkerchief. Dispose of the tissue immediately after use and wash the handkerchief thoroughly after use.
- If you have a fever, cough or difficulty in breathing, seek medical attention immediately. National and local authorities will have the most up to date information situation in your area. Seeking medical attention early will allow your healthcare provider to quickly direct you to the right health facility. This will help protect you and help prevent the spread of the virus and other infections.
- Stay updated on the latest developments about the virus. National and local authorities will have the latest information on whether the virus is spreading to your area. They are best placed to advise on what people in your area should be doing to protect themselves.