Following continued laxity from most Kenyans, the government has announced plans for tougher measures aimed at preventing the spread of COVID-19.
Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe on Tuesday said he was concerned at the upsurge of infections which hit 535, with 45 announced on a single day.
He said he was particularly concerned at the manner in which most people were behaving in public places, oblivious of the danger posed by the virus that has so far killed 24 people since mid March when the first case was confirmed in the country.
On Tuesday, Eastleigh region of Nairobi recorded 29 cases, the highest from any region on a single day.
The cases have surged since last week when the government started undertaking mass testing in Nairobi’s Kawangware, Eastleigh and Mombasa County.
Kagwe said the government is concerned on the rising cases from Eastleigh which now has 63 cases.
Due to the laxity to obey public health regulations, Kagwe said security forces will strictly enforce the law and has warned hotel and restaurant operators that their licences will be revoked permanently if they continue to violate the law.
He further urged politicians to tone down on everything else and focus one educating Kenyans on the challenges the country is facing as a result of COVID-19 pandemic.