This type of insurance protects insured against financial loss in the event that the motor vehicle is involved in an accident ,burnt or stolen.
Herein, we have put into scope two major insurance companies in Kenya. We have zeroed in on the motor insurance cover they offer,all features and the benefits of each. The two insurance companies are Resolution Insurance and Jubilee Insurance.
We have explored the benefits of each separately and given our opinion in which offers the best motor insurance cover.
See also; How to cook omena (sardines)
Resolution Insurance offer the following 3 types of Motor Insurance cover:
Third Party: Covers third party bodily injury and property damage arising out of a vehicle accident. This covers unlimited liability for Third party personal injuries or death. For any vehicle, this is the minimum cover required by the Motor Insurance Act. No cover is provided for any form of damage to the policyholder’s vehicle.
Third party Fire & Theft: Cover extends to cover theft, fire, third party bodily injury and property damage. This cover is not very common. It has features of comprehensive cover but excludes damage arising from an accident. This is advisable for vehicles not exposed on the roads.
Comprehensive: Covers third party liability and property damage to the vehicle i.e. damage arising out of fire, theft and accidental damage to the vehicle. It is the widest cover available.
MOTOR INSURANCE CLASSES COVERED
Classes covers under their Motor Insurance covers:
- PSV Taxis, Uber, Other Digital Taxi Apps
- PSV Tour Firm
- Motor Cycle- Non PSV (Non Boda Boda)
- Motor Trade- KG plates
- Motor Private
- Motor Commercial
- Motor Asset
They also cover you against the following:
Accidental loss or damage to own vehicle arising out of Impact damage or collision, overturning, Fire damage and/or Theft of whole or part of vehicle
Third Party Liabilities – legal liabilities arising out of ownership or use including Damage to property belonging to other people-vehicle, buildings, Death or injury to pedestrians or public and/or Death/ injury to passengers – passengers’ legal liability
Emergency Medical Expenses to driver or passengers or pedestrians following an accident
Damage to vehicle in custody of motor trader or other service providers
They also offer the following optional benefits at an additional premium:
Personal Accident to the Insured person only
Towing & Recovery
Radio Cassette Extension
Windscreen/Window Glass Extension
Risks not covered in their Motor Insurance cover are:
Own death or injury
Damage to tyres unless the motor vehicle is also damaged
Consequential Loss/ Depreciation/ Wear and Tear
Loss outside the geographical area
Loss due to cheating
Influence of alcohol
Use of motor vehicle for unlawful purpose
Damage caused by overloading/strain
EXCLUSIONS FOR MOTOR CYCLE INSURANCE
The risks not covered under our motor cycle insurance are:
Loss of personal effects
Personal accident cover
Use in connection with motor trade
Use for carriage of passengers for hire/reward
Loss/Damage to accessories/ spare parts by theft unless motorcycle is also stolen
Damage to tyres
Depreciation Wear and Tear
Mechanical and electrical breakdowns
Loss of use
What they offer.
Jubilee Insurance Motor insurance cover protects the insured against financial loss in the event that the motor vehicle is involved in an accident, burnt or stolen.
They offer 3 types of coverage:
Third Party: Covers third party bodily injury and property damage arising out of a vehicle accident.
Third party Fire & Theft: Cover extends to cover theft, fire, third party bodily injury and property damage.
Comprehensive: Covers third party liability and property damage to the vehicle i.e. damage arising out of fire, theft and accidental damage to the vehicle.
Benefits at a glance
1. Excellent claims settlement
2. Political violence and terrorism benefit
3. 24 hour towing service
4. Accident and disability benefit
5. Free motor valuation and inspection
What you get with Motor Private
Motor insurance ensures that you do not suffer a setback financially in case of an accident. But remember, it is not a one-size-fits-all requirement. Choose the most suitable plan for you and include the benefits that you would like to have. It is also a legal requirement to have car insurance in Kenya.
Third party and fire
Repair or replace vehicle or its parts in case of loss or damage and cover 3rd party legal liability
Compensation of legal liability on 3rd party
Compensation of legal liability on 3rd party bodily injury, death and damage of property
Loss in case of fire
What’s not covered?
Not within policy
- We do not compensate for indirect losses that arise from the losses you are covered against.
- Our motor policy does not cover against political violence and terrorism.
After the accident
- We shall not pay when it is determined that the driver was behind wheel while under the influence.
- We shall not compensate if it is determined the vehicle was carrying above their authorized capacity.
Requirements for cover are:
- Duly Completed Proposal Form
- Copy of ID
- Copy of PIN Certificate
- Copy of Log Book
- Premium Payment
Making a claim
In the event of a motor vehicle accident, damage or theft to your car, take the following steps to make a claim:
- You must report to them any accident, injury, loss or damage involving your vehicle(s) as soon as is reasonably possible.
- If the vehicle(s) is/are lost or damaged as a result of theft, attempted theft or malicious damage, you must immediately make a report to the police and obtain a police report (abstract).
- You must also inform them immediately you become aware of any current or future prosecution or proceedings in connection with any event for which there may be any liability under this policy. You can email them at GBClaims@resolution.co.ke or email@example.com or you can visit us at the branch nearest to you.
- Any correspondence relating to any incident should be sent to them immediately and unanswered. They will be entitled to take over and carry out in your name the defense or settlement of any claim. They may also prosecute in your name to recover any amounts they have paid. You will be obligated to co-operate with us on the recovery process and if you fail to do so the company will be at liberty to recover the outlay from you.
- When you make a claim, they will be entitled to instruct and give information relating to the claim to other people such as lawyers, investigators, loss assessors, garages and we expect you to give them all the necessary co-operation.
The following documents are required for each category of claim as below listed:
Motor accident claim
Duly completed claim form
Police abstract report
Copy of driver’s license noting when test passed
Copy of drivers license noting that license is valid at the time of the claim
Copy of the log book
Motor Theft claim
Duly completed motor theft claim form
Police abstract report
Copy of drivers license (if applicable )
Copy of the log book
Car Audio / Visual Equipment
Motor Theft claim form duly completed
Original replacement receipt
Duly completed windscreen claim form
Original replacement receipt
One Photograph before and after
The following claims will be investigated as soon as reported by the investigator:
- All cases of theft of motor vehicle or motorcycle.
- All cases of third party personal injury.
With all these information about motor insurance, i believe you are now at a better position to make the right choice for your motor insurance. In case you have any question regarding motor insurance, you may comment on the comment box and we will reach out to you. There are other insurance companies too such as UAP old mutual, offering motor insurance cover. You may decide to check them out and see which company offers a plan that best works for you.
Do you have any interesting story or news that you would like us to publish? Reach out to us at https://rlv.co.ke or whatsapp 0741540642.