There may be no fans in attendance in today’s Bundesliga, but the eyes of the world will be on Borrusia Durtmond’s Westfelstadion as they face Bayern Munich today evening witht the title race race still much alive. Football fans will have their eyes glued to the screens to see who comes on top between the two giant German teams.
In the recent years, Dortmund have had something sort of a mental block against Bayern Munich but under Lucien Favre they will feel better placed than ever to upset the perpetual favorites. Since the winter break, Dortmund has secured 27 points fro 10 games which left them within 4 points of the leaders with just 7 games to go.
- Bayern have hit nine goals without reply across the previous two Bundesliga meetings between these sides (4-0 and 5-0), but Dortmund ran out victors the last time they met at the Signal Iduna Park in the league, winning 3-2 on Matchday 11 last season. In fact, Dortmund have lost just one of the last four (W2, D1, L1) Klassiker matches on home soil.
- Dortmund also clinched the Supercup at their famous home back in August, meaning coach Lucien Favre has a 100 per cent record at home against Bayern with two wins from two.
- Haaland’s return of 10 goals in as many games mean the Black-Yellows are the only Bundesliga team this term with three players on double figures for goals: Haaland (10), Reus (11) and Sancho (14).
- Lewandowski is the league’s top scorer this term with 27 goals, scored at a rate of one every 82 minutes. Haaland, who joined in January, has bagged his 10 at a rate of one every 69.
- The Poland captain is also this Bundesliga fixture’s record scorer (17 goals) across spells at both clubs (16 for Bayern, one for Dortmund) and Lewandowski has notched 12 goals in his last six Klassiker outings – scoring on every occasion. He’s also scored at least twice in each of the last four league games against Dortmund, a run that dates back to his hat-trick in the 6-0 demolition of his former employers on March 31, 2018.
- Lewandowski is one of four players in the two squads to have crossed the Klassiker divide, with Hummels, Ivan Perisic and Mario Götze also having played for both clubs.
Dortmund Looking balanced
Favre introduced a 3-4-3 system in December last year and Dortmund have looked much miore balanced that ever before.The boundless energy of wing-backs Raphael Guerrerio and Achraf Hakimi provides the width and allows greater interplay between the three forwards.
In Jadon Sancho, Thorgan Hazard and Erling Haaland, they have one of the most dangerous frontlines in Europe and will look to exploiut Bayern’s aging defence. Sancho in particular has shown that he belongs among the world’s elite this seasin and has provided 14 goals and 16 assists in the Bundesliga.
Bayern Munich unbeaten in 2020
Dortmund have had an incredible 2020 but will face the only Bundesliga side wih a better record when they host Bayern Munich.
The Bavarians are inbeaten so far this year and have been so impressive thta the interim boss Hansi Flick was given a permanent contract in April. Flick appears to have settled on Serge Gnabry and Kingsley Coman as the long-term successors to Frank Ribery and Arjen Robben with youngster Alphonso Davies adding an additional threat down the left.
The biggest beneficiary of Bayern’s strength in wide areas is Robert Lewandowski who has hit the finest form of his illustrious carreer. The 31-year-old has scored 27 goals from just 25 Bundesliga games this season and is currently just 3 off his personal best.
The pole scored a hat-trick in Der Klassiker 2 years ago and notched a brace in this season’s reverse fixture: he will be hoping for a similar return this time out.
Borussia Dortmund 1-3 Bayern Munich
Despite Borussia Dortmund’s positive form heading into this fixture, it is pretty reasonable to expect a Byern Munich victory this week.
Although the hosts are the second-best side in Germany, there is a gulf of difference between them and Bayern which will come into play later today especially with Dortmund missing a couple of their key players.